Monday 14 March 2011

To fashion or not to fashion....

I have been meaning to start a blog for some time now - unfortunately my limited access to the internet has caused me to struggle to do this! But here I am, on a rare day off from the buzzing world of  visual merchandising, sat at a borrowed laptop ready to begin...

I guess I wanted to start a blog since the day I saw an image in a magazine that infuriated me. It was from a well known weekly fashion magazine on a feautre called Style Hunter. The so called 'fashion expert' has the most fabulous job of hunting down style worthy individuals in London to find out what and, more importantly, who they are wearing. But on this occassion I couldn't believe what they picked out. A woman with her coat half on and half off. She had her right arm in her Burberry inspired mac (such a staple piece!) and her left arm hanging out - as though she couldn't decide whether she wanted it on or off. And this to Style Hunter was FASHION?! This isn't even style, its try hard at its very worst. Out of all the arty and fashion forward people there are on the streets of London this is what this supposed 'expert' came up with? And it is not the first time I have disproved of what "style savvy" individuals appeared in this feature...

That got me thinking. If someone who is paid to do such an important and influential job can pick someone so unfashionable for their feature then why can't an average 20 something girl like me do it too (and better, may I add). So I've taken up the challenge of hunting down some wonderfully stylish individuals in my home county of Yorkshire, so I'll be heading from Leeds to Hull, from York to Sheffield and beyond on the hunt to prove that us Yorkshire folk can do an even better job in the fashion stakes than the professionals do in London. I'll be staking out people at vintage fairs, on shopping trips and wherever else the fashion forward Yorkshire folk may be. I'll also be reporting on my own vintage finds from local charity shops, vintage fashion fairs and unique boutiques.

I hope you find the blog inspiring, both to show that fashion provokes opinion and argument -which is why I love it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment